Sunday, June 6, 2010

Good Bye 30...Hello 31

So week 30 has come and gone but we were in a bit of transition from our old computer to our new fancy Mac so I didn't get a chance to update until today.  Today I am officially 31 weeks!  Matt and I have checked several things off of our list of things to do this weekend, the biggest check mark being we finally bought a new car.  We have been looking and looking and finally settled on something we hadn't really been looking for at all!  We bought an upgraded model of the Rav4 I already have.   I have been driving a 2003 Rav4, now I will be driving a 2010 Rav4.  The reason we needed to upgrade was the lack of rom in the back seat.  The infant car seat did not fit safely in the back seat of my old car but the new model of the Rav4 is quite a bit bigger.  We decided we don't really know what we will need in a few years so this car may just be a stepping stone to something even bigger.  It's nice to have this done.

The other big change this week is I am no longer working. 2 weeks ago my doctor told me I could medically be done working whenever I wanted to be and at the time I still felt like I was able to keep up. But, after a long day Tuesday, coming home and crumbling into bed, I called my doctor Wednesday and she said not a problem, I could consider myself done until after the babies are born.  Between the contractions, swelling, shortness of breath it was just getting to be too much on my feet for 8 hours.  I felt like I wasn't providing the best care I could for my patients or my babies.  So I am going to do my best to relax and keep these babies in as long as possible.

Went to the doctor this week and long story short, everything checked out well.  I sent up a little red flag because they asked if I felt both babies moving equally and I said no.  I've never felt them move equally and they've always said that is normal because her placenta is on top of her and his is underneath of him. (Side note* I do feel them moving all the time and it's hard to know who's who.  They've been in the same position since my 20 week ultrasound so I do my best to guess.  When our Big Boy moves you can see it, he does a lot of rolling and jabbing.  When our Little Girl moves it's still a tap or a jab that you can feel better on the outside then I can on the inside. )  So they put me on the monitor to do a non-stress test.  They could find each babies heartbeat easily but keeping them on the monitor was a bit of a challenge so down to ultrasound I went for a biophysical profile which gives them a scoring out of 8 to make sure they aren't stressed in the womb.  They measured their heart rate, muscle tone, movement, breathing, and the amount of amniotic fluid.  Each baby scored an 8 so on our way back home we went.  I fear each time I go to the doctor they are going to tell me to walk on down the hall to be admitted.  We are not ready to have these babies yet, they are not done cooking!

So in week 30 there is about a pint and a half of amniotic fluid around each baby.  This will decrease as the babies get bigger to make more room for them in the uterus.  Their eyesight continues to develop but when they are born their vision will be 20/400, which means they will only be able to see objects a few inches from their face.  I continue to feel pretty good and strangers say to me every time I'm out "You must be due any day!?"  I just smile and say  "No, I've got a couple more months, I'm having twins!" Maybe I'll start wearing a sign or a button?  Just think what they will say in 4 or 6 weeks?!


Jordan said...

You are such a trooper! I'm so happy to hear everything is still going well!

Joyce said...

How funny! Blogspot was not accepting my comments. So I kept trying...Now they are all there! Hehehehe! Love, MOM

Pam said...

You are such a cute Momma! So glad you will now be able to be off your feet more and able to rest. And, by the way, if anybody gives you any grief about anything at all, tell them they can talk to the Grandmas!! ; )